(1) It must be recognised that the cause of all world unrest, of the world wars which have wrecked humanity, and the widespread misery upon our planet, can largely be attributed to a selfish group with materialistic purposes, who have for centuries exploited the masses and used the labour of mankind for their selfish ends . . . This group of capitalists has cornered and exploited the world's resources and the staples required for civilised living; they have been able to do this because they have owned and controlled the world's wealth through their interlocking directorates, and have retained it in their hands. They have made possible the vast differences existing between the very rich and the very poor; they love money and the power which money gives; they have stood behind governments and politicians; they have controlled the electorate; they have made possible the narrow nationalistic aims of selfish politics; they have financed the world businesses and controlled oil, coal, power, light and transportation; they control publicly or sub rosa the world's banking accounts.
The responsibility for the widespread misery to be found today in every country in the world, lies predominantly at the door of certain major interrelated groups of business men, bankers, executives of international cartels, monopolies, trusts and organisations, and directors of huge corporations, who work for corporate or personal gain. (7 - 70/1).
(2) A war is starting between the selfish monied interests and the mass of humanity who demand fair play and a right share of the world s wealth. (7 - 72).
(3) War can be and is mass murder, where the motive is wrong. It can be sacrifice and right action, where the motive is right. The slaying of a man in the act of killing the defenceless is not regarded as murder. The principle remains the same, whether it is killing an individual who is murdering, or fighting a nation which is warring on the defenceless. (13 - 180).
(4) Death, through the destructive processes of war, is under the directive and cyclic intention of the planetary Logos, working through the Coun- [Page 421] cil Chamber of Shamballa. The Beings Who there direct world processes know that a time has come when the relation between planetary evil, and the Forces of Light or of Good have reached a point of "explosive antagonism" (as it is called). This must be given free rein if the divine purpose is to work out unarrested. The explosion is therefore permitted; nevertheless, all the time a controlling factor is present, even though unrealised by man. Because these Beings (Who work out the will of God) are in no way identified with form life, they have consequently a just appreciation of the relative importance of life in form; the destruction of forms is to Them, not death in the sense that we understand it, but simply and solely a process of liberation. It is the limited vision of those identified with form, which has so consistently nurtured the fear of death . . .
The basis of all wars is fundamentally the sense of separateness. This fundamental individualism or pleased recognition of isolationism, leads to all the secondary causes of war: greed, producing economic disaster; hatred, producing national and international friction; cruelty, producing pain and death. (17 - 431/2).
(5) The war: 1914-1945. Millions died; more millions suffered cruelly in their form nature, and many more millions underwent (and are still undergoing) the mental agony of insecurity, suspense and poverty. Nevertheless, two major results of a spiritual nature, working under the Law of Perfection, resulted:
1. Souls were released from a backward and decaying civilisation - for such is your vaunted civilisation from the angle of the Hierarchy - and will return in better bodies to a civilisation and a culture more in conformity with the needs of spiritual man. The main reason why there has been such a complete destruction of the old forms (physical, emotional and mental), is that they constituted a complete imprisonment of the soul, and negated all true growth for the masses of men.
2. From the rich to the poor, from the intelligent to the ignorant, one thing is now clearly grasped, and will increasingly colour human thinking: happiness and success are not dependent upon the possession of things, or upon material good. (17 - 661).
(6) There has been a far greater spiritual significance to the war than has yet been realised. It marked a world turning point; it reoriented humanity towards the good; it drove back the Forces of Evil and made definitely clear (and this was new and needed) the true distinction between good and evil, and this not in a theological sense - as stated by the church commentators - but practically and obviously. It is evidenced by the dis- [Page 422] astrous economic situation, and by the greed of the prominent men in every country. The world of men (through the obviousness of the distinction between good and evil) has awakened to the fact of materialistic exploitation, to the lack of real freedom and to the rights, as yet unclaimed, of the individual. Man's ability to resist slavery has become apparent everywhere. That the strugglers towards freedom are employing wrong methods, and are endeavouring oft to fight evil with evil, is entirely true, but this indicates only transitional techniques and a temporary phase; it is temporary from the point of view of the Hierarchy (though possibly long from the angle of men in the three worlds), but it need not necessarily be long today. (17 - 666/7).
(7) Men deal with effects and not with causes; for instance, mankind is concerned with war, and with horrified preparations for more war, and is not primarily occupied with that which causes war and which, if rightly handled, would prevent war. (18 - 730).
 THE WESAK FESTIVAL
(1) The Wesak Festival has been held down the centuries in the well-known valley in the Himalayas (if the faithful would only believe it) in order:
1. To substantiate the fact of the Christ's physical existence among us ever since His so-called departure.
2. To prove (on the physical plane) the factual solidarity of the Eastern and Western approaches to God. Both the Christ and the Buddha are present.
3. To form a rallying point and a meeting place for those who annually - in synthesis and symbolically - link up and represent the Father's House, the Kingdom of God and Humanity.
4. To demonstrate the nature of the work of Christ as the great and chosen Intermediary, standing as the Representative of the Spiritual Hierarchy, and as the Leader of the New Group of World Servers. In His Person, He voices their demand for the recognition of the factual existence of the Kingdom of God, here and now.
Perhaps one of the major messages for all of us who read these words is this great truth and fact, of the physical Presence on Earth at this time of the Christ, of His group of disciples and executives, of Their representative activities on behalf of mankind, and of Their close relationship. (8 - 45/6), (13 - 599).
(2) This year 1946 marks the beginning of a cycle in which humanity is more closely involved in the festivals than ever before, and in which they can take a much more important part than ever before. The Wesak Festival has long been kept in many countries and - as time goes on and the instruction of the masses proceeds - the meeting held at the time of the May Full Moon will assume great importance, but its keynote will be changed. What the new keynote will be has not yet been announced, and will not be for 35 years. As I earlier pointed out, its significance, and that of Good Friday, belong to the past, and their usefulness is nearly finished. It is the intention of the Buddha and the Christ that in each country there should eventually be someone who will act as Their Representative at the time of the two Festivals, so that the distribution of spiritual energy from the first great Aspect or Ray will be direct from the Buddha (and later Shamballa) to the Christ, and then from the Christ to those disciples in every country who can be overshadowed, and so act as channels for the direct current of energy.
The same procedure will be followed at the time of the Full Moon of June, except that Shamballa will not be so involved, and with the difference that at the May Festival it will be a first ray disciple who will be overshadowed, and at the June Festival a second ray disciple will represent the Christ in every land. This can mean either the soul or the personality ray of the disciple. (13 - 553).
(3) No cost is too great to pay in order to be of use to the Hierarchy at the time of the Full Moon of May, the Wesak Festival; no price is too high in order to gain the spiritual illumination which can be possible, particularly at that time. (5 - 629).
(1) (Wisdom) has to do with the development of the life within the form, with the progress of the spirit through those ever-changing vehicles, and with the expansions of consciousness that succeed each other from life to life. It deals with the life side of evolution. Since it deals with the essence of things and not with the things themselves, it is the intuitive apprehension of the truth apart from the reasoning faculty, and the innate perception that can distinguish between the false and the true, between the real and the unreal. It is more than that, for it is also the growing capacity of the Thinker to enter increasingly into the mind of the Logos, to realise the true inwardness of the great pageant of the universe, to vision the objective, and [Page 424] to harmonise more and more with the higher measure . . . Perhaps it might be expressed as the gradual blending of the paths of the mystic and the occultist - the rearing of the temple of wisdom upon the foundation of knowledge.
Wisdom is the science of the spirit, just as knowledge is the science of matter. Knowledge is separative and objective, whilst wisdom is synthetic and subjective. Knowledge divides; wisdom unites. Knowledge differentiates whilst wisdom blends.
. . . Wisdom concerns the one Self, knowledge deals with the not-self whilst the understanding is the point of view of the Ego, or Thinker, or his relation between them, (1 - 11/2).
(2) Wisdom, actuated and motivated by love, and intelligently applied to world problems, is much needed today, and is not yet to be found, except among the few illumined souls in every nation - in every nation I say, without exception. Many more must love with wisdom, and appreciate the group aspiration, before we shall see the next reality to be known and to emerge out of the darkness which we are now in the process of dispelling. (14 - 342)
(3) Wisdom connotes skill in action as the result of developed love and the light of understanding; it is awareness of requirements, and ability to bring together into a fused relationship the need and that which will meet it. (16 - 494).
(4) Wisdom is the enlightened application of knowledge, through love, to the affairs of men. (13 - 467).
(5) Wisdom takes the place of knowledge when, in the transmuting fires of struggle, pain and hard work, the aspirant transforms himself into the working disciple and is gradually absorbed into the ranks of the Hierarchy. (6 - 394).
 WORDS OF POWER
(1) The basis of all manifested phenomena is the enunciated sound, or the Word spoken with power, that is, with the full purpose of the will behind it. Herein, as is known, lies the value of meditation, for meditation produces eventually that inner dynamic purpose and recollection, or that internal ideation which must invariably precede the uttering of any creative sound. (1 - 150).
(2) What the initiate is learning to do is to make sounds consciously, and thus produce a studied and desired result; to utter words, and be fully [Page 425] aware of the consequence on all planes; and to create forms and direct energy through sacred sounds, and thus further the ends of evolution. (1 - 155).
(3) The aspirant has . . . to control his speech every minute of every day. This is a statement easily made, but most difficult to make practical. He who achieves it is rapidly nearing emancipation. This applies not to the reticence, the moroseness, the silence, and the voicelessness which often distinguishes natures but little evolved, and which are in reality an inarticulate condition. It refers to the controlled use of words to effect certain ends, and the retention of speech energy when not needed - a very different matter. It involves a realisation of cycles; of times and of seasons; it supposes a knowledge of the power of sound, and of the effects produced through the spoken word; it involves an apprehension of the building forces of nature and their due manipulation, and is based on an ability to wield mental matter, and to set it in motion, in order to produce results in physical matter, consonant with the clearly defined purpose of the inner God. It is the shining forth of the second aspect of the Self, the Vishnu, or form-building aspect, which is the prime characteristic of the Ego on its own plane. It would be well to ponder on this. (1 - 156/7).
(4) Every Word, differentiated or synthesised, affects the deva kingdoms, and hence the form-building aspects of manifestation. No sound is ever made without producing a corresponding response in deva substance, and driving multitudes of tiny lives to take specific forms . . . The majority of human beings as yet build unconsciously, and the form constructed is either of a beneficent or a maleficent agency, according to the underlying motive or purpose of the man. (1 - 159).
(5) Words of Power, ancient mantrams (such as the Lord's Prayer) and the Great Invocation, are only effective if used upon the mental plane, and with the power of a controlled mind - focussed on their intent and meaning - behind the spoken effort. They then become potent. When said with the power of the soul as well as with the directed attention of the mind, they automatically become dynamically effective. (13 - 144).
(6) Words of Power (and this is true also of the O.M.) are all of second ray origin . . . They are, therefore, intended for soul use because the soul is the expression of the second aspect of divinity, and only the soul can really employ these Words and sounds and thus produce the desired results, which are always in line with the divine Plan. It is frequently forgotten that they must be used by the soul in a dynamic manner, involving the serious recognition of the will aspect. ( 13 - 145).
 WORRY AND IRRITATION
(1) I want briefly to touch upon the most common of all causes of trouble: Worry and Irritation. They are more prevalent at this time than ever before, and for the following reasons:
1. The world situation is such, the problems and uncertainty are such, that scarcely a person in the world at this time is exempt. Everyone is more or less involved in the planetary situation.
2. The intercommunication between people has increased so much, and men live so much in massed groups - large or small - that it is inevitable that they produce an effect upon each other as never before. "If one member suffers, all the members suffer with it", is a statement of truth, ancient but new in application, and today realised for the first time.
3. The increased sensitivity of the human mechanism, is also such that men "tune in" on each other's emotional conditions and mental attitudes, in a new and more potent manner. To their own engrossing concerns and worries, are added those of their fellowmen with whom they may be en rapport.
4. Telepathically, and also with a developed sense of prevision, men are today adding the difficulties that belong to someone else, or to some other group of thinkers, and of people, to the difficulties that may be. It is not sure that they will be.
These problems will demonstrate to you how intensely difficult it is for men to face up to life. It will be obvious that the problems of worry and irritation are many, and must be considered.
Why are these difficulties of the astral body so "perilous" and serious? Worry and Irritation are dangerous because:
1. They lower the vitality of the man to such a point, that he becomes susceptible to disease. The scourge of influenza, has its roots in fear and worry, and once the world settles down to freedom from the present "fearful" condition, we shall see the disease die out.
2. They are so highly infectious from the astral point of view, that they lower in a peculiar manner the astral atmosphere, and thus make it hard for people - in the astral sense - to breathe freely.
3. Because the astral condition of fear, worry, and irritation are so widespread today, that they might be regarded as epidemic, in a planetary sense.
4. Because irritation (I speak not here of worry) is inflammatory in its effects - and inflammation is hard to bear - and leads to much difficulty.
It is interesting to note that certain forms of eye trouble are caused by this.
5. Because worry and irritation prevent true vision. They shut out the view. The man who is the victim of these conditions, sees nothing but the cause of his complaints, and is so submerged through self-pity, self-consideration, or in a focussed negative condition, that his vision is narrowed, and his group hindered. (17 - 69/71).
(2) There is little that anyone can do when tests and deep distress and anxiety overwhelm a disciple, except to stand by in love, send healing thoughts and invoke the inner strength of the soul that the vehicles can be used. (5 - 564).
(1) Astrology is based, curiously enough, upon illusion, for, as you well know, the zodiac is naught but the imaginary path of the sun through the heavens, and this as it appears from the standpoint of our totally insignificant planet. The sun is not, as stated, in any sign of the zodiac. It simply appears to be so, as it passes between our little sphere, the Earth, and the constellations, at any particular time or season. (16 - 4)
(2) From the point of view of humanity, the passage of the Sun around the zodiac is apparently a slow and laborious process, taking approximately (on the plane of time) 25,000 years. (16 - 81).
(3) It must be borne in mind that we are entering another greater round of the Zodiac, and this coincides with the lesser zodiacal activity, because Aquarius governs the greater immediate cycle of 25,000 years, and is also the sign into which the sun is now moving for a period of 2,300 years - a most amazing happening and full of import in our planetary history; it is a coincidence of which our planetary Logos is well aware, and of which He is making full and intelligent use. (13 - 567).
(1) I close with an appeal to all who read these instructions to rally their forces, to renew their vows of dedication to the service of humanity, to subordinate their own ideas and wishes to the group good, to take their eyes off themselves and fix them anew upon the vision, to guard their [Page 428] tongues from idle speech and criticism, from gossip and innuendo, and to read and study, so that the work may go intelligently forward. Let all students make up their minds in this day of emergency and of rapid unfolding opportunity, to sacrifice all they have to the helping of humanity. Now is the need and the demand. The urgency of the hour is upon us, and I call upon all of you whom I am seeking to help, to join the strenuous effort of the Great Ones. They are working day and night in an effort to relieve humanity and to offset those evils and disasters which are immanent in the present situation. I offer to you opportunity, and I tell you that you are needed - even the very least of you. I assure you that groups of students, working in unison and with deep and unfaltering love for each other, can achieve significant results.
That each of you may so work, and that each of you may lose sight of self in realisation of world need, is the earnest prayer and deepest aspiration of your brother, THE TIBETAN. (4 - 639/40).
(2) Age-long identification with the form side of life is not easily overcome, and the task ahead of the disciple is a long and arduous one, but one which promises eventual success, provided there is clear thinking, earnest purpose, and planned scientific work. (10 - 265).
(3) From them (the disciples and aspirants) the WAY opens up, and for them comes the conscious recognition of the light. The need for the service of men and women, free from illusion and glamour, has never been so dramatically present as it is today, and it is for these potential servers of a desperate necessity that I have written.
That the Angel of the PRESENCE may make His nearness felt, and inspire you to pass courageously through the fires of the burning ground, is my earnest prayer; that the fact of the PRESENCE may be sensed by you, and lead you to greater activity - once the burning ground is passed - is my deepest wish for you; and that the light may shine upon your way, and bring a certain and assured consummation of all the travail and struggle which has characterised your way of life, is my heart's desire for you. To more active and steady enterprise I call you. THE TIBETAN. (10 - 271/2).
(4) This series of text books of occultism, and of the occult forces which I have written, are intended to act as sign posts, and as beacon lights upon the way to knowledge. They contain hints and suggestions, but must be interpreted by each student according to the measure of light which is in him. Let him study what is going on around him in the light of the Plan, and of the knowledge here imparted, and let him seek to trace for himself the emergence of the instinctual psychical nature of Deity in world affairs [Page 429] and in his own life, for it is happening all the time. He must ever remember that he himself possesses a psychical nature which is a part of a greater whole, and, therefore, subject to impression from divine sources. Let him cultivate in himself the trend to synthesis; let him make the words, "I will not be separative in my consciousness", one of the key thoughts of his daily life. (15 - 234/5).
(5) I will say no more at this time. I have sought to indicate that which should be possible. If my suggestions are followed, and if the work is carried forward diligently, there is every indication that the work of the Hierarchy and of the Christ, will be tremendously expedited. The need and the opportunity call for right understanding, and they demand also a joyful co-operation, and the sacrifice of yourselves and of your time and money, in the attempt to make our work possible.
I make no further appeal for your help. I have been endeavouring to educate you in the new ideals, and in the work of the New Group of World Servers. The responsibility for right action, and for the effort to reach the public, rests upon the aspirants and disciples of the world who read these words. There is nothing that I, personally, can do. It is your time (and all of you, without exception, can give some) for which Christ and humanity are today calling. It is your activity and skill in reaching those you can reach, for which we make demand. It is
(6) We know that this is the hour of humanity's greatest opportunity, and that if men can pass triumphantly through this and (by the strength of their own souls) surmount this very present evil, then the evolution of humanity will be hastened beyond all that was believed possible. It will constitute a release, self-achieved and self-initiated. This means as much in the life of mankind as it means in the life of the individual disciple. That chance and that opportunity must not be taken from man; the gained [Page 430] spiritual and eternal values are of far greater importance than his temporary agony.
Little as you may realise it as you think of US in Our so-called safe retreats, the capacity of identification with all that is involved in world pain today, and the sensitivity of Those connected with the Hierarchy to the unhappy condition of humanity, makes Their task of standing-by one of supreme spiritual agony. They understand the depths of the reaction of humanity; They comprehend and understand, for They are one with all men. This involves a far greater comprehension than you can grasp, and one which can only be adequately expressed in the word "identification". They need the staunch support of all Their disciples, the steadfast love, the loyal attitude, the unquestioning response to human need which will enable Them to carry more easily the heavy burden which human karma has laid upon Them, and which They carry voluntarily.
Will you give this? Will you aid Our work in every possible way, both as personalities, dedicated to service, and as souls who walk the lighted Way? The need of humanity for love and light, the need of the Hierarchy for channels and for those who will work under direction upon the earth, can call forth all that you have to give and can evoke your soul (the only true reward that the disciple seeks) in power and love. This will happen to you, if you will forget the little self. (5 - 101).
(7) And so from stage to stage the disciple passes, going from light to light, from perception to perception, from force to energy, from personality focus to soul integration, and then, from soul to spirit, and from form to life. He has explored all the avenues of knowledge; he has descended into the depths, into hell and into the valleys; he has climbed the mountain top of initiation, and from there has swung out beyond space and time; he has lost all self-interest and is a focussed point of thought in the mind of God. Can I say more than this? I think not, my brothers. And so I bring to an end this series of instructions and my responsibility in this connection is ended. Yours now begins. (5 - 773).
(8) All that I can hope and pray is that your individual will can be merged into the divine will, that revelation will be increasingly yours, and that you will with increased steadfastness tread the Path from darkness to light, and from death to immortality. (18 - 718).
(9) May light and love and power shine upon your ways, and may you in due time and with as little delay as possible stand before the Initiator and join the ranks of Those Who - actively and consciously - love Their [Page 431] fellowmen, work as reconstructive and regenerative Energies and forever - SERVE.
I sign myself . . . as the Master Djwhal Khul.
THE TIBETAN. ( 18 - 738).