Goodwill Meditation Group
For many years a growing group of people in many parts of the world has been linking in thought each week and joining in a meditation on goodwill.
The purpose of this meditation work is to strengthen and increase the goodwill that is in all people, helping to solve the urgent problems facing humanity.
This meditation outline used by the group is offered to anyone who cares to cooperate in this planetary service. The meditation work can be done without joining the group or writing to anyone.
Those who wish to indicate their participation in this work can do so by writing to
It is suggested that the work be done at noon, and if possible on Wednesdays, or any other convenient time.
Inquiries relating to this work can be sent to
The Goodwill Meditation Group is a worldwide group of people who link together in thought each week to meditate upon the energy of goodwill. The group’s purpose is to stimulate and increase the use of goodwill in a troubled world. Its function is to act as a channel through which the energy of goodwill can flow more abundantly from spiritual levels into the hearts and minds of all people.
The group was established by World Goodwill, in 1954, in response to the urgent need to mobilise the potent energy of goodwill at a time of world crisis. The group is composed of a wide range of people of various races and nationalities. Many of the group’s members are highly trained and proficient in meditation and have been working together for many years.
High Noon on Wednesdays
Although some individuals may choose to meet and meditate together, the group as a whole never meets—there is no need, of course, for the work is done at mental levels. The members of the group simply link up mentally and work together in meditation wherever they happen to be.
The group members aim to meditate at least once each week. They try to synchronise their meditation and work at twelve o’clock noon on Wednesdays. High noon on Wednesday—the midpoint of the week—is the focal point of the whole group endeavour. However, the meditation work can be effective whenever and as often as the individual may choose.
Meditation on Goodwill
Any sincere and thoughtful individuals who wish to be of service and help humanity are most welcome to participate in this work and add the potency of their own meditative power to the group’s effort. And the meditation outline on pages 5 and 6, Meditation on Goodwill, is offered to all who care to use it. It is not necessary to formally join the group or to write to anyone. But those who do wish to signify their participation in this work can do so by writing to World Goodwill, and such communications are welcomed.
The service of meditating on goodwill is, of course, not limited to any one group or organisation, and there are various types of meditation outlines which can be used. The Goodwill Meditation Group seeks to work in cooperation with all who are working towards the same end.
The Need for Goodwill
The Goodwill Meditation Group is motivated and spurred on in its efforts by the urgent worldwide need for right human relationships. Many other things are needed by humanity at this time, but right relationships are needed most of all. And the basic quality and most potent factor which will lead towards this end is the potent and harmonizing energy of goodwill. It has been said that goodwill is that additional factor, that "magic" ingredient, which when brought into any situation can produce right relations.
We are living in one of the great crisis eras in all human history. Issues of peace and war, poverty and abundance, of racial, political and industrial conflict face us on every side. Religious divisions and the clash between age and youth are likewise present, and underlying all is the basic conflict between material and spiritual values, between self-interest and world service. And yet there is universal recognition that humanity is entering a new age. The decisive question today is whether we can solve our problems before they get out of control. The race is on for the future, and only the men and women of goodwill in the world can guarantee a successful outcome.
Countless movements based on goodwill are attempting to create a better world, and there is a growing recognition of humanity’s essential unity. But something additional is needed to ensure that men and women of goodwill will, in fact, combine their strength and carry out sustained and united world service in these critical times.
The Power of Goodwill
The subjective channeling and radiatory work carried out by the Goodwill Meditation Group has a constructive and healing effect, which not only establishes right human relations but also lifts and transforms human consciousness. This is inevitably so for the group is working with goodwill—an expression of the energy of Love, and Love is the universal characteristic and quality of divine Life in our solar system and on this planet. Goodwill is Love in action. It has been said to be as much of an expression of true love as humanity, at its present stage of evolution, can respond to in any practical way.
Goodwill may be variously described. It is both an attitude and a harmonizing energy. It is a most contagious human quality which can be organised and made effective. It is an expression of "the will to that which is good and ought to be". It should no longer be misunderstood as a sentimental or negative kindliness; it is a practical and dynamic force of constructive action. There is no problem which cannot be solved by the energy of goodwill, and no problem can be solved without it. Goodwill really practised among groups and among nations is capable of revolutionizing the world.
Energy Follows Thought
The Goodwill Meditation Group is a service activity for people who believe in the power of thought, because its work takes place strictly at the mental level. The power of thought is now accepted as a reality, and the quotations, "Energy follows thought" and "As a man thinketh…so is he", are frequently heard. Energy does indeed follow thought, and the energy if goodwill is no exception. The mind is, in fact, a better carrier of the potency of goodwill than the emotions. Goodwill needs directing, and it is the mind that gives the direction, enabling the individual or group to invoke this energy and direct it into the desired channels.
Cooperation and rhythm are two highly important factors in the group’s work. When two or more people think the same thoughts, the potency of their individual thought power progressively increases not arithmetically but geometrically! When such thinking is carried out regularly, the very rhythm itself produces an even greater potency. One can see what a tremendous influence for good lies dormant in the massed thought power in the world, and when it is focussed and intelligently used, it undoubtedly alters the course of world events.
The Source of Goodwill
Each of us in involved in a complex system of relationships—individual, family, group, community, national and international. These may be described as our "horizontal" relationships, and each of us is responsible for keeping these relationships on the right basis by the practical and consistent use of goodwill.
But we are also part of another relationship system—the "vertical" which links us to spiritual levels of awareness, to the spiritual Hierarchy, to God and to the universe. This vertical system can be an unfailing source of love and goodwill, provided we can make contact with it through the use of prayer, meditation or reflective thought.
Working at the centre of these vertical and horizontal systems of relationship, the Goodwill Meditation Group helps to act as a link between the world of spiritual realities and humanity—as a channel of communication between God and humanity, through which spiritual energies and power can flow to rebuild a troubled world. It is this power which can energise and vitalise men and women of goodwill throughout the world, and if it is properly used and directed it can become humanity’s "saving force".
Preparation for Meditation
1. Sit in a comfortable position, erect but not tense or strained. Relax. See that your breathing is even and quiet.
2. To meditate in the same place whenever possible is helpful.
Attitude to be Assumed
1. Remember you are sharing your effort with thousands of other men and women of goodwill.
2. Realise that essentially you are a soul and as such have telepathic rapport with all souls.
3. Remember that energy follows thought.
4. Remember that meditation is not a passive, reflective form of devotion, but a positive, creative use of the mind, actively linking the inner and the outer worlds.
5. Use the creative imagination to see yourself at one with all humanity and with all that is progressive, spiritual and working for human welfare and right human relations.
6. Adopt a confident attitude, knowing that you are acting as a channel for the energy of goodwill. This 'as if' attitude can produce potent results.
MEDITATION ON GOODWILL
1. Link up in thought with all those people throughout the world who are working with this Goodwill Meditation Group.
2. Reflect upon the fact of relationship. You are related to:
• your family
3. Use this mantram of unification:
The souls of men are one and I am one with them.
Let pain bring due reward of light and love.
Let vision come and insight.
1. Reflect upon your own and humanity's relationship with the spiritual Hierarchy - the inner Government of the planet.
2. Imagine that you are standing within the centre of the spiritual Hierarchy and are immersed in the consciousness of the Christ, the Heart of Love within the Hierarchy.
3. Maintaining that high point of contact, let your thoughts reach out to include all members of the human family in whom the energy of goodwill is active.
4. Silently voice the affirmation:
In the centre of all love I stand;
1. Visualise the energy of love flowing from the spiritual Hierarchy, through the men and women of goodwill, and into human hearts and minds, infusing them with goodwill and creating loving and harmonious human relationships.
2. Meditate on ways of spreading goodwill, creating right human relationships and restoring peace on Earth.
3. Realise that you are helping to build a channel between the spiritual Hierarchy and humanity, through which the energy of goodwill may flow, uniting the human family, solving its problems and healing all differences and cleavages.
4. Linked in thought with men and women of goodwill all over the world, say the Great Invocation. Say it with deliberation and full commitment to its meaning, knowing that you are radiating its potent energies to humanity:
From the point of Light within the Mind of God
From the point of Love within the Heart of God
From the centre where the Will of God is known
From the centre which we call the race of men
Let Light and Love and Power restore the Plan on Earth.
OM OM OM